Perfection

Okay, here's my stand on this: Perfection doesn't exist in humans. We aren't capable of achieving such an insane idea. I think most of us have some sort of belief that this concept is impossible, but many of us still strive for it regardless. I know I do despite completely hating it. Whether this goal exists in our work, our bodies, our passions, we have this need to be "perfect".

What even is 'perfect'?

It's defined as "having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be," but what the hell does that actually mean? Personally, I think it's relative. It's definition changes based on the individual defining it. To me, a perfect day could consist of cooler weather with a subtle breeze and blue skies, while to you it could be a torrential downpour in the middle of May. So what's the sense in using a non-universal word to describe anything of this world? 

I try not to describe any person as solely perfect. I'll tell my boyfriend that he's perfect for me, but there's a difference. That doesn't mean that I'm describing him as this unattainable concept by any stretch of the word because he's not. Nobody is and I feel like telling someone they are can give them this level of unimaginable heights that they have to carry and live up to. I don't want to put that weight on anyone. That's why I think saying hey you're perfect for me specifically gives it this entire new sense that instead of hey you're completely 100% flawless, it's saying hey your flaws and my flaws go together quite nicely.

In my head, striving for perfection puts more stress on you that it's worth. I understand why some people do it; you want to be the best at whatever it is you do and feel like you've accomplished something. But what's the point of it it all you're going to get out of it is an existential crisis?

We're all at fault for these thoughts. We're human. I think it's this need to be the best and never fail that's programmed into us from birth. It's as natural as breathing, really. But I think we have to accept that it's not entirely possible at some point, otherwise how will we ever be truly happy? We'll be so caught up in not disappointing anyone that we'll never learn to accept our flaws and be able to live with them.

That's just my thoughts. I could have the completely wrong idea, as I know others who feel like striving for perfection is a motivator for their work ethic. I just can't help but see it as a way to increase the pressure we already place on ourselves.

On that note, I hope everyone's Thanksgiving/week was great,
XO, Shelby

Comments

Popular Posts