Reflections

Okay, so there are numerous posts on tumblr and who knows where else about this subject, but it's something I've been thinking about a lot so why not share? Basically, we never actually get to see what we look like, right? We only get reflections and pictures where we just pick apart our flaws. We never get to view ourselves the way an outsider does. And it sucks.

You never get to see yourself just being you. You don't get to see the way your smile softens when you look at the person you love or the way one side of your mouth quirks higher than the other when you're amused. You don't get to see the way your eyes dance when you laugh. The way your eyebrows furrow when you're confused, or how your flush starts at your neck and works its way to your cheeks when you're complimented. How you're filled with pure joy and determination when you're doing something you're so passionate about.

You can't see how a simple shade of blue in your shirt makes your eyes turn into this mix of green and blue that's honestly beautiful or how those same eyes can be filled with such a kindness that they feel as though they're melting into someone else's very essence.

Personally, I don't get to witness how I supposedly light up when I'm on stage. I've always wondered what it was like to see myself dance and not criticize every mistake I make. Or how my own eyes apparently have flecks of gold in them.

I guess this is a standard thought that everyone has had at some point, but imagine if you could be someone else for just a minute and see yourself the way they see you. Maybe we'd all appreciate ourselves a little more.

XO,
S

Comments

Popular Posts