Love

I read this post on Tumblr (go figure) that was talking about whether love is a feeling or a choice and ever since I've had this thought in my head. I think I've finally come to a conclusion on my take on this thought: Love is both.

It starts off as a feeling. You find yourself falling in love little by little every day. Or maybe it happens suddenly and you know within weeks that you love this person. It varies per each unique individual, but that basis is the same: it begins as an emotion. But after that initial realization of those feelings, you have to choose to keep loving this person. If they piss you off, if you're arguing, if one of you is experiencing something more along the lines of depression or anxiety or anything and everything is just really hard, you choose to love them. That's why I'm not a fan of the excuse of  'We fell out of love.' There's a reason you initially fell in love, how do you just fall out of it? There's a breaking point and you chose to break. Some things aren't meant to work out, I know that, but it's not as simple as you fell out of love.

Relationships take work. There's going to be arguments and hard points, but there's also going to be beautiful moments and the best times of your life. Love's weird, man. It's not all butterflies and fairy tales like books and movies tell you where sparks fly every time you make eye contact. It's a sense of peace and comfort that another human brings you. It's this feeling of calm that only they can give you. It's a happiness so unique. It's not something where I go to bed thinking oh I'm so in love, it's more like I'm able to sleep peacefully knowing this person is in my life and will continue to be in my life for a long time.

That's just how it is for me. The idea of love being both a feeling and a choice doesn't just apply to romantic relationships either, but any relationship in your life. You choose to love your friends. You're raised to love your family, but it's your choice if you really do or not.

I don't know what else to say. I think it's an interesting topic and I wanted to share.

I hope everyone had a nice holiday break,

XO,
Shelby

Comments

Popular Posts