12.25


This Christmas is a lot different than any other I've had. I'm used to spending at least part of the day with my family, but this year I had to work-which honestly is part of why this year royally sucked. And why I'm sitting here on my couch, alone in my apartment, typing this and planning on spaghetti for dinner instead of being at my grandparents'. But I can't complain; I spent my day at my desk in the office while people like Katy are out there actually keeping people alive and frantically racing around. I had it insanely easy compared to them.

But I don't want this post to focus on the bad things, because I'm too good at doing that and holding onto the negative. Because I'm really nostalgic and sentimental tonight, this post is going to focus on all the good things that have happened this year, the things I'm thankful for. A recap of each month and some of the best things that happened. These things all make me smile when I think of them and remind me how wonderful the people in my life are.

Style inspired by my dear Haley.


January
New Years Eve with my best friends. Sparkles everywhere, confetti on the hardwood floor. Balloons that took Han and I an hour and a half to get. IHOP for breakfast. One of the few times we were all together in 2018. Laughing and smiles.
The Swerve concert. A duet with my best friend. Steak and shake in the rain. A really good start to a new year.

February
Galentine's Day with my girls. I went straight from a fun run to being with them and really wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Rom-coms, life talks, flowers, and fake tattoos. Sharpies and hairspray and baby powder. Too much Chinese food. Hannah's Polaroid. The best dates a girl could ask for. 

March
The last spring formal we'd go to at UM. Dancing under the stars at the fort downtown and trying not to freeze.
A phone call to my mom, "Hey, we should get matching tattoos."
Her response: "Oh my gosh, you're not kidding."
Spring break, a much needed break from life. A chance to breathe when everything felt like it was too much; exploring UWF trails with my brother, finding a tribute to trolls on a rock, so many beach trips. Salty air and sandy feet. Time with just my family and my girls smothering me in love.
An interview for a new job.

April
April began with a trip to the aquarium in New Orleans with Katy and Zach. A place I hadn't been since I was 7 and was even better than I remembered. A quick tour around to get my first Beignet.
Matching umbrella tattoos with my mom. "Ready for anything."
Katy's 22nd birthday; pasta, free dessert, floral cat ears, paint by numbers. Board games that always last 10 minutes before someone gives up. Cinnamon rolls in the morning. The best hugs from everyone.
Geneva the therapy pup.
My last run with Booster. "Bye bye bye" Surf's Up.
A pet snail and a new Beta fish-Dorito and Cyrena.
The first day at my current job. Overwhelmed and nervous, but hopeful I had finally started going in the right direction.

May
That's my best friend! Go best friend!
Katy's pinning ceremony, a symbol of her survival of nursing school. Seeing all my friends from UM graduate the next day, cheering them on from the audience with Han and Haley.
Another snail: Pringles.
Cat sitting for the rest of the month, surrounded by flowers and sun. Post cards from San Fran. Orientation and training and caseloads.

June
I didn't think June had as many bright moments, but as I was searching for a photo, I realized that wasn't true at all.
It began with a new type writer-my third in total. "Do you have anymore room for those?" Some TLC and patience and she was as good as new-only $12!
The GRE, a step toward going back to school.
A failed canoe trip turned into a pool party at Katy's. "The American Gorls." Nancy Drew games.
A celebration of my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. A love note my grandma wrote my grandpa, the sweetest words. Friends and family they hadn't seen in years gathering to celebrate their love. A video message for them to remember.

July
4th of July with Zach and Katy. Fireworks at Riverside, "Which is your favorite color?"
The 7th of July party. A little rainy, but just as fun as always. Jumping in the pool, star lights, Liberty crowns. Fireworks at the church. Sparklers and Roman candles. Hiding in the van when it decided to pour.
Build-A-Bear for Braxton and Claire. Girls' day after, walking around Eastern Shore Center. More rain, running through the parking lot with thunder booming and puddles splashing.
My hair slowly getting more and more "blonde."
"You're basically a ginger."

August 
A new kid on my caseload. A little girl who has captured my heart and gives the best hugs, my "little sister" according to staff.
A birthday dinner with my pals, a house warming party for Zach, Adam, and Stephen. Hide and seek in the dark until 1 AM. A lesson on flashlights. OWA the next day; messy hair and bruised backs. Sun burnt noses. Tanger Outlets and BBQ.
My birthday. Surprise flowers, balloons on my desk, a card from my sweet coworkers. Dinner with my sweet family. I never can say thank you enough for how loved everyone made me feel.
Hair dyed lighter.

September
My absolute favorite month, filled to the brim with all the adventures I could've wanted.
The month began with a haircut and Hannah's birthday. Dinner at the beach and movies that were too sad.
Birmingham the next week, my first road trip alone. One Direction throwbacks and surprising the kiddos. Cheer leading game for Claire, Fort Nite with Braxon. My lights when everything feels dark. Birthday parties and JoJo Siwa. Swings and bouncy houses, running through the dirt until our feet turned black. Taking the kids to school, lunch with Aunt Ashley. Talks that I'll never forget. A town that has my heart. "You're always welcome here."
Atlanta was next. Six Flags and Georgia Tech, a building with a rooftop access overlooking the campus. Monster Mansion. Parks and markets and forever grateful for Katy insuring I experience everything I missed. One city that has my heart. 
The Baldwin County Fair, a tradition every year. Rides that break our necks and make us laugh until we cry. Wristbands and swings as the sun was setting, coloring the sky pink and orange and the prettiest shade of blue. A break from all the rain and clouds.

October 


I couldn't choose just one.
Back to Birmingham for a behavior conference. Team bonding, baby bowling and fancy restaurants, finding castles in the middle of the city. "It's a castle, castle!!" Pictures and videos and sing-alongs. Cookies at midnight. Another city with a piece of my heart.
Then Haley's birthday. Glitter and pizza. A sweet passerby, "You ladies look so pretty!" Pictures on stairs. A night all about creating new, happy memories. The beach and stargazing, cupcakes on a blanket. "That's Orion, NOT Ursa Major!" Soft music from a speaker.
A pumpkin patch with my family, something I've wanted to do for years. Sunflowers and corn mazes, maps that didn't help. Hay rides and more sun burnt noses. Picking out pumpkins with Mikie.
Ten years of friendship with Katy. Genuinely the best friend you could ever have, who has somehow put up with living for me for 4 years on top of being my friend. But really I'll never be able to thank her or her family enough for being in my life.
Monsters Inc. with Nicole and Essence for the fall festival at the Tree. Seeing all my kiddos having fun with their games and candy.
The annual Halloween party. Giant Jenga and snow white and a haunted house. Katy and Mikie unstoppable at Jenga, having to try to actually topple the tower. Bungee rocket tennis in the Blue Wahoo's parking lot for an hour. The simplest of games bringing us the most fun. Sonic for slushies.


November 
Camping at Bear Lake round 2. The coldest nights, the best group. Hiking to Krul Lake, laying on the dock to soak in the warmth of the sun, a bouncy bridge. Laundry detergent woods. Campfire pizza, crystal clear water. Geneva, drawn to the lake. Not enough blankets. Wild hair and a happy heart. Whataburger breakfast.


December
Where we are now, with bad Netflix Christmas movies on and the real tree Katy got us lit up. Presents reflecting the light with a twinkle.
The tradition of watching Zach perform in the Nutcracker, Waffle House after still upheld.
I've spent almost every weekend home with my family this month, an occurrence that was very much needed. We celebrated Christmas a day early so I could have it with them and I'm so grateful for that time. My dad's face alight when he opened up the robotic dinosaur Mikie and I got him. My mom's expression when she opened hers. The happiness and lifted weight everyone seemed to have after a heavy year. Thankful we were all even there together.
Now I'm looking forward to another NYE with the best friends I could have hoped to have and thinking, ya know maybe this year wasn't quite so bad.

Merry Christmas, everyone. I hope you all had a little happiness this year.


Comments

Popular Posts